Thursday, April 12, 2012

Reading Together

Back in the 8th grade Ryan and I started reading books together because he was having trouble remembering what he read and then had a difficult time passing his AR tests.  We started with The Chronicles of Narnia and he couldn't handle the old style wording.  He loved the movies, just not the books.  So then, we switched to the Percy Jackson series and it was a hit. I wasn't sure I would like them, but I really did and Ryan aced his AR tests.


This year in 9th grade he had to pick a novel for English class.  They had a choice between 5 novels that the teacher had on a list. He chose Fallen Angels by Myers.  He got a copy from his teacher and I found one at Half Price Books for 3 dollars.  I love that store, in fact, that is where we found Percy Jackson brand new for cheap.  Anyway, we started reading this together and it is about a boy who enlists in the army out of high school and goes to Vietnam.  At first, I thought...yuck, but it's turning out to be a pretty good book.  This would not be my choice off the bookshelf, but it might turn out just fine.  


When we finish this book for school, I promised him I would get the Hunger Games series because we are both dying to read them.  I am so glad Ryan has taken an interest in reading for pleasure, it just took the right book to get him interested.


Reading IS fun!





No comments:

Post a Comment