Thursday, August 2, 2012

Jury Duty

On August 1st, I had jury duty in the afternoon beginning at 1:00.  I went to work in the morning, then took my lunch and headed to the courthouse. I have been to jury duty before, but they never got to the questioning of the jurors because the defendant decided to settle and we were all dismissed.  That day there were also 200 people there for the case.


This was completely different, there were only 28 people to select from, so chances were high to be selected.  It was a DWI case and I had no idea the defendant would be present through out the selection process.


The first couple of hours, the prosecutor spoke to us and asked questions.  We were given about a 10-15 minute break and then the defendant's attorney asked some more questions. I think I was let go because they asked if we were related to anyone in current or past law enforcement.  And of course, my father in law had a long career in College Station. The jury was picked right before 5:00 and the rest of us were dismissed.  Judge Locke stopped me on the way out of the courtroom and asked me to say hello to Luther, my father in law.


I don't mind jury duty and I thought the whole thing was interesting. I really enjoyed it and I don't even think I would mind being picked.  That's just the political science major coming out in me. Haha!

No comments:

Post a Comment